BARRACUDA COACHING STAFF
Jon Clark, Head Coach
Jon especially enjoys working with novice adult swimmers. Jon's emphasis is on technique. Because there’s a wide variety of abilities and needs among swimmers, Jon prepares several workouts, and makes sure that each swimmer finds his or her level. Jon observes everyone’s technique and freely offers individual consultation.
Tim swam competitively at the club, high school, and college level in California. He started swimming Masters in the early '80s. Tim enjoys open water swimming and has participated in open water competitions for over 30 years. Tim believes concentrating on good technique and a balanced stroke are keys to improving. He likes to give purposeful workouts focused on achieving the swimmers' goals.
Dave was a High School All-American, a Collegiate All-American at UC Berkeley, a member of the 1956 US Olympic team and holds numerous Masters world records. His coaching background includes:
- Asst. Coach at USC (Head Coach was Peter Daland), 1959
- Started the first age group program in Las Vegas, 1959 - 1962
- Head swim coach at Chaffey High School in Ontario, California, 1963 - 1975
- Head swim coach of the Ontario Community Aquatic Club
- Head swim coach at Glencoe High School in Hillsboro, Oregon, 1995-1996
- Assistant coach for Barracudas
Paul started swimming in 1963 in upstate NY. Since then, he has competed/coached/officiated at the club, high school, college teams, and Masters levels. Paul likes all strokes, prefers more rest between sets, enjoys "mega-monotonous sets", and heartily embraces the "Masters Prerogative" philosophy.
A little bit about his coaching/swimming background:
- Coach - St. Charles/Illinois Masters (IL): 1977-1980
- Coach - New Hope Crystal Plymouth Masters (MN): 1982-1989
- Coach - Red Wing Swim Club (MN): 1998-2005
- Coach - Red Wing High School (MN): 1998-2007 (5 state championship teams)
- Coach - Hartwick College (D-III, NY): 2007-2014
- Meet Director for the 1993 and 1999 USMS LC Nationals (Minnesota)
- Meet Director for the 1997 Pan Pacific Masters Championships (Maui)
- "Escaped" from Alcatraz in 2004 and 2011
- Completed the Millennial Swim in 17 hours (2000 lengths in 2000)
Ben started coaching his former high school team, Valley Catholic, in 2012. Originally from the Portland area, he grew up swimming competitively for the MAC club. He also swam for Valley Catholic High School and was the only individual on the boys team who qualified for State for both Freshman and Sophomore years. He also swam for Linfield College. Since joining the Barracudas he participated in his first ever open water swim in July of 2016 - the Portland Bridge Swim - with fellow Masters, Paul and Sara, and had a blast!
Ben's philosophy in coaching has evolved every year since he started, but a fundamental part of his philosophy is - as in all sports and life - do what you love, and love what you do.
Dave swam competitively in high school and college. He has been a Masters swimmer since the 1970's, and coached an age group club in California. He is particularly sensitive of the needs of older swimmers to avoid injury and maintain fitness.
Born and raised in Bethlehem, PA, Sara has been swimming competitively for the past 27 years. She swam for the Atlantis Aquatic Club and then continued her swimming career at Penn State University where she was named captain her senior year and was part of two Big Ten Championship teams. She has coached summer, high school, club and collegiate level swim teams since 1999. Her coaching style focuses on stroke technique and quality over quantity, which she attributes to her own personal experiences with the Atlantis Aquatic Club. Sara moved to Oregon in January of 2015 and it was easily the best decision she has ever made. She still competes today and has attained United States Masters Swimming Top Ten National Rankings in the backstroke events for the past six years.